Recently we watched The Social Network in class. While watching it I was able to make a few connections to both the marxist and feminist critical approaches.
From the marxist standpoint, I think some obvious factors were the character's social class and their connections. Having a bunch of Harvard students and their money working together isn't a bad situation. Many people come up with good ideas, but don't always have surrounding brain power or the money to make it possible like Mark did.
One power struggle I noticed was the twins. When their Facebook idea was "stolen", they figured they could use the power within their own family name to have the problem solved in their favor. After being made a joke of by the Dean, they realized they can't always get everything they want because they come from a powerful family.
From the feminist standpoint I noticed that women really were not a large part of this movie at all. The few were Mark's ex-girlfriend, the Standford girl that slept with Sean, the lady that works with Mark for Facebook, and Eduardo's crazy girlfriend. I would say besides the lady working for Facebook, women were not represented very well at all. They were seen as obscene or crazy or something to rate on appearence.
You has a great article. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.
ReplyDeleteLets keep writing and sharing to us and other.
Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.